Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Post Number 40: Back in the saddle again.

So what has been going on? I went through that great time at school called finals, and after the stress and pain associated with that activity I was done using my brain for at least a while. Trouble is now I feel like my brain is degenerating to a gelatinous mass never to resemble its former solid glory. So I gots to get back to work. I asked anyone who reads my stuff if they had any suggestions on how I can spice up my writing and I only got one response, and that was a suggestion to write about television, specifically Lost. NO! Listen, I don’t want to write and or talk about television. It’s not that I don’t see merit in the medium; it’s that television has a way of taking over a life. Yes, I know with today’s technology it is possible to watch TV at your convenience, but I have fallen to that maiden’s sweet siren song before, and I do not wish to revisit. Just like most video games, TV and I are on the outs till I find something really worth investing time in. All that said, I really enjoyed Lost but was disappointed by the ending. I don’t want to have to watch bonus material just to learn the secrets they didn’t explain on the show, I just want it ON THE SHOW.

So back to what I can do to spice up my blog. If there is one thing I feel is missing from my posts, it is my signature sarcasm. Oh, it’s there sometimes, sticking its head out of the ground to see if winter is coming, but I hold myself back, I really do. My fear is that with placing more of my personality into my blog posts, I would alienate some readers who do not know me IRL. Now that I think about it, that’s pretty dumb of me. I’m not writing for some well know periodical that is praised and renowned by anonymous readers worldwide. Hell, I’m lucky if 5 people read this thing. So, I am not going to hide my light under a bushel no more. And this means that from this point on, some of the things I write will be NSFW. I refrained as much as I could from cussing before, going so far as to write entire sentences to navigate around a few curses, but I am done with that. I assure you I don’t intend to cuss just for cussing sake, only to do it when it best sums up what I am trying to say. I hope that this doesn’t push anyone away from the blog, because I have the utmost respect for anyone who bothers to read this.

So, I don’t really feel like doing a weekly post today, so I am just going to skim over some movies I have seen recently. A couple of them are still in theaters, a couple are foreign. Stick around it should be fun.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010 Mike Newell):
Video games and movies have a rocky relationship, and this movie didn’t help at all. At about 30 minutes into the film, I just could not have a good time with it anymore, and I was really trying to let go and enjoy a summer action movie! Let me just go over my complaints in a sort of list: The story was convoluted, I feel like the movie would have benefited from another 30 minutes just to flesh it out; The sets were extremely boring. When Destan (Jake Gyllenhaal) is swinging about fighting people and doing parkour moves in the city they invade, I felt like I was looking at a set from Universal Studios, or perhaps the Batman stunt show from Magic Mountain!; The edits DROVE ME INSANE! Ok, not literally, but the characters would say “we need to go here” and then snap! They are there. Or there was a completely pointless 2 second shot of people riding horses through the desert. And how in the HELL were the Hassansins running through a forest a night? I am not making this up. The trees must appear there magically so that we can feel like we are watching the Nazghul chase after Frodo; Why did they film the action the way they did? By doing quick cuts, slowing down things occasionally, and then moving on ASAP, I got absolutely no enjoyment out of any of the fights. EVEN THE BADASS NINJA TYPE PEOPLE SUCKED!!!! I am just getting more and more angry here. It was a bad movie, and I think it really could have been good. Don’t see it, save your money and see the Expendables when it comes out.

Mother and Child (2010 Rodrigo Garcia):
This was a brilliant drama about 3 women and their relations to being a mother, a child, and a grown-up. This would be a five star film for me except I got no sense of anything special in the direction or cinematography of the movie. The acting though is absolutely superb, as well as the storyline. I can’t do the movie justice trying to sum it up on my lowly blog. If you like any of the actors who are in it (Annette Bening, Naomi Watts, Kerry Washington, Samuel L. Jackson, Jimmy Smits) then you should most definitely go see the film. A little warning for guys, the first 30 minutes of the movie makes you think all women are terrible. It passes, trust me.

Just a little ditty here to get my brain juices following. I feel good after writing up just this part, so I am going to try to push myself to get back to writing each week at least once. I am also going to try to get a few pals of mine to do some writing on the blog, so that multiple views can be read, and so I can argue with them. Because that’s just how I roll.

Questions, comments, send them to JDTMovies@gmail.com. Or post them on my facebook fan page, which is linked to on the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment