Search This Blog

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Post 3 for 2011. Am I writing these too short?

Entry Regarding 1/15/2011 – 1/21/2011

Movies Seen: First Time Viewed*
Encounters at the End of the World (2007 Werner Herzog)*
Almost Heroes (1998 Christopher Guest)
The Social Network (2010 David Fincher)*
The King’s Speech (2010 Tom Hooper)*
Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009 Wes Anderson)

I’m finally catching up on some 2010 hits. Two winners in this group fer sure.

Encounters at the End of the World:
Obviously a beautiful doc to look at (almost any nature doc will be), this doc was great for another reason. The documentary focused on the people who choose to come to and live in this strange snow covered land. People that work hard every day, choosing to be so far away from “civilization” for their own varied reasons. It’s really interesting to hear Verner interview these people. Most of the time it they give off a sense of loneliness, and a strange sense of humor and morbidity. One of the most memorable parts is when Verner is interviewing the man who studies the penguins, and he choose to ask him about penguin sexuality. Why did he do that? I really liked Encounters, and I think you should watch it, then go out and make your own doc. Seriously, we should all do one in our lives. It can be about whatever you want.

Almost Heroes:
Can you believe this movie is directed by Christopher Guest? Crazy huh? Not at all like any of his “mockumentaries”, the movies does at least scrape at faux-history. This was another re-examination for myself. I always remembered this movie being pretty funny, but I almost never hear anyone talk about it. And it was funny, but there are some pacing issues I suppose. Chris Farley steals the show as usual, but everyone else in the movie are very good too. I especially liked Eugene Levy playing the stinky French man. I am not used to seeing him play anything but the awkward Jewish guy. As for Matthew Perry, well, I am biased. I seem to have a fetish for the man as I love Fools Rush In, Three to Tango, and The Whole Nine Yards. You just want to be friends with him! Maybe someday he and I can braid each other’s hair and have a sleepover.

The Social Network:
So, yeah, I like Aaron Sorkin’s work. I am a big fan of Sports Night, I can’t really say why. Something good about the rhythm. Yeah… anyway. I imagine a lot of people have already made their way to a theater to see this movie. The paint a really interesting story based on the court transcripts alone. Maybe we should give Sorkin some more stuff that would normally be considered boring. Jessie Eisenberg is just amazing. He finally steps out of the Michael Sera shadow some many people have been seeing him under. I suppose I could list some complaints about the movie, if I have any. Let me see… yeah, I got nothing. Just, watch the movie. There’s nothing more to say.

The King’s Speech:
Excellent movie. We knew it was going to be excellent right? I mean, was anyone really worried that Colin Firth couldn’t pull off King George VI? Or that Geoffrey Rush wouldn’t be as good as he always is? I would watch him in anything (and have. I’ve seen House on Haunted Hill. BARF). Sarah (my girlfriend and movie companion) tells me that people in England seem to be lukewarm on the film. Is it because they all know the story already or something? Maybe they hate Australians or something? The film is a great period piece that is funny and interesting the entire time. And features, like, half the cast of that 4 hour Pride and Prejudice. You know the really good one? I dare say I liked this movie better than The Social Network. But I have a thing for English men. Who doesn’t?

Fantastic Mr. Fox:
This is pretty much my favorite Wes Anderson movie at this point. I’ve watched it 4 times, including the time at the theater. I like to put it on when I become the default baby-sitter during family gathering. The kids love it, and I love it, so it’s win-win. The music is great, but that’s pretty standard for Anderson films. I just love the jokes. And don’t get me started on the animation. It’s totally Sarah’s fault, but I am starting to like stop-motion better than CG stuff. She gets all the credit. Is there a reason why you haven’t watched this yet? Oh, it didn’t look good to you? GET OVER IT!

I need to go watch an action movie or something. My heart needs to get pumping. Exercise? YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH.

Questions, comments, or soliloquies, please send them to JDTMovies@gmail.com. Follow me on Twitter @JDTMovies.

No comments:

Post a Comment