Search This Blog

Sunday, February 16, 2014

February Week 2: Terminator 3: Post of the Machines

So, on Wednesday I said I have a new job! I may have been premature about that. I am hoping that my excitement will not be crushed by rejection, but I am PRETTY sure I will get the job. All the interviews and stuff didn't stop me from watching a ton of movies obviously. Sarah and I are getting back into a movie groove after a few weeks of pure television time. Have you watched Lost Girl? It is super good. Seasons 1-3 are on Netflix. Things are looking up anyway, and I intend to keep writing this time no matter the circumstances of my life. Unless, you know, someone sets off a huge EMP, burning out all the electrical devices for the untold future and bringing our world back to a new stone age. Even then, I'll just switch over to plays and carve my reviews in a tree.

Movies Seen:
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
A Woman is a Woman
Dallas Buyers Club
Paisan
Q Planes
Rabindranath Tagore
Le Cercle Rouge
Sade
Convoy
The Way, Way Back


Mission Impossible – Ghost Protocol (2011):

What is it about Mission Impossible movies? They keep pumping them out, and none of them rise above mediocre. I am actually a big fan of the first movie, although I can’t really explain why. Number 2 and number 3, not so much. Ghost Protocol, in my opinion, has only one thing going for it over the others and that is its sense of humor. I don’t know if that’s due to the screen writers or Brad Bird’s directorial efforts. Either way, it works really well compared to the droll super-serious 2nd and 3rd movies. Action is all well and good in an action movie, but I can get that almost anywhere and in more entertaining flavors than Ghost Protocol. No, once again, if you’re going to sell me on a film, I have to like the characters. The characters are almost blank slates in this movie, but the jokes make up for that big time.


A Woman is a Woman (1961):
Here is the Netflix description for A Woman is a Woman: Striptease artist Angela (Anna Karina) is desperate to have a child, but her boyfriend, Emile (Jean-Claude Brialy), isn't as anxious. Although he cares for Angela and wants to keep their relationship going, he's not ready for that kind of responsibility. Instead, he suggests that she get together with his buddy Alfred (Jean-Paul Belmondo) -- a proposal Angela ultimately accepts, to Emile's shock and dismay. Frenchman Jean-Luc Godard directs.
I just… I have a lot of problems with that description. Basically, Sarah and I wanted to watch something French and we had been eyeballin’ this movie on our My List for a while. Jumping in feet first into a movie with almost no prior knowledge has worked out pretty well in the past, with only a few occasions where I was assaulted visually and mentally. I can’t say this movie was offensive to me, but I sure wish I had known a little more background on it before we watched it. What we got here, is a French New Wave Comedy. Which means incoherent dialogue, musical cues that abruptly start and stop, and references that are extremely timely to the world in the 60’s. Or maybe that’s not what it means, that was what was going on here though. I’ve seen a few French New Wave movies, and honestly the only one that really got to me was 1 or 2 Things I Know about Her, another Godard film. So maybe I’m just not a French New Wave guy? Back to A Woman is a Woman. Entering this movie based solely on the Netflix description was a bit of a mistake. Although the plot described does play out for the most part, the movie is not about the plot. The movie seems to be about how flighty people of a certain age and financial situation were in that time. She wants to have a baby, he doesn’t, she threatens to sleep with another person to have the baby, he challenges her to do so. In-between all that is a lot of goofiness, which was enjoyable some of the time but mostly had me scratching my head. This, I believe, is not the movies fault but my own for not researching the movie beforehand. On the other hand, you shouldn’t have to do that to enjoy a movie. It’s a flaw, it’s there, and it’s still a decent movie as a window into the movement. I just wish we had had more fun watching it.


Dallas Buyers Club (2013):
This is my guess for Best picture Oscar for the 2014 ceremony. It’s got all the Academy wants! Period piece? Check. Issue movie? Check. Strong lead performance? Check-a-roonie! Obviously Matthew McConaughey is the best part of the movie, with Jared Leto in a strong second. What we have here for reals though, is straight up Oscar bait. The movie is just edgy enough to side on the common sense issue of being, say, anti-AIDS, while touching on other more controversial bits like homosexuality and transgender stuff without giving a firmer judgment than tolerance. Insert some tragedy and some feel good scenes, boom, send me the check. What we really need, is a buddy detective TV show where McConaughey and Leto play the same characters, but sans AIDS and solving mysteries! I’m writing the spec script right now. You know what the real problem with this movie is? You put Steve Zahn in there, and you hardly use him! Steve Zahn is a national treasure. In the detective TV show, he will be the tough but fair chief, who occasionally has to go into the field to assist his crew. Oh yeah, this thing practically writes its self.


Paisan (1946):
One of the most eye opening moments for me in my cinema education was when I saw Umberto D in a film class. I had never seen anything like it before, with its long unedited shots and brilliant acting, showing simple tasks like opening all the windows in a room and through shear cinematic magic making them fascinating. I later saw The Bicycle Thief (or Bicycle Thieves, whatever) and got more of this glorious film style. Italian Neo-realism, coming into vogue towards the end of the Second World War, showing how life had become for the people of Italy. Really getting out there on the streets and using non-professional actors for starring roles, BLOWING MY MIND. Paisan is another one of these types of movies, with one problem compared to the others: English speaking actors. I don’t speak Italian in the slightest, so perhaps the Italian actors come off as crappy as the American actors (or ADR providers) do, and I’m just not aware of it. It’s totally possible. Other than the first vignette though, everything else about this movie is great. And you know what? The first one is still great despite crappy English language acting. The movie takes place during the American invasion of Italy, showing 6 different stories of tragedy, that range from unrequited love to religious tolerance to fighting against the Nazis. It is an amazing piece of cinema, and I am not fit to review it, but there it is. I can’t wait to see more.



Q Planes (1939):
This was another little British gem like Obsession, where a mystery is afoot and a humorous police officer must use his wit and will to poke his nose into everyone’s business and get to the bottom of the case! I wish there were a series of films featuring Major Hammond, working hard to annoy everyone and still get his man, or men, or lady. Q Planes (or Clouds Over Europe) is a mystery/comedy about disappearing experimental planes and the man who loved them. Wait, no, Lawrence Olivier’s character is just upset that his pals keep disappearing while taking these flights. Turns out, there’s a ship with a special beam gun that can knock out a plane’s engine from the ocean’s surface! I don’t know if they explained who the ship belonged to or how they made that weapon, but you know what it doesn’t matter. This movie was so much fun. Everyone was doing that fast 40’s style talking you hear being made fun of on occasion, and usually I find that incredibly distracting, but here it worked. The up-sped tempo kept the quips coming and the movie just flew by (like a plane… I’ll just go now). Excellent movie, found in Hulu’s Criterion collection.


Rabindranath Tagore (1961):
A nice little 60 minute docudrama about a man named Rabindranath Tagore, someone I had never heard of. He was a poet and spiritual leader a la Gandhi in India. In fact, he and Gandhi were pals! This was obviously a passion project for the director, and it doesn’t concern its self with being entertaining. It was rather entertaining to me, but I have become a bit of a history buff in my old age. The movie features many reenacted scenes, and they are just fine for that purpose. I learned a little about the man, and now I want to learn more. Job done.



Le Cercle Rouge (1970):
This movie took me 4 days to watch. FOUR. FREAKING. DAYS. I kept getting interrupted during this movie and only this movie, which is kind of amazing because there were plenty of movies I got through just fine, sans interruption. Sigh. In the end, I don’t think I got the pleasure out of the movie I should have. Le Cercle Rouge is a slooooow burner. So I got to see a man released from prison and another man escape from a train, and then I had to wait a while. Then I saw these men meet up and the police officer start to work, then I had to wait a while. You get the picture. The cinematography amazing, gorgeous, and other adjectives that mean really good. I would love to see the movie projected. And you know how much I love characters, so I am happy to say that there are 4 different dudes with motivations, backstories (all inferred masterfully), and scene stealing moments. One cop, one FORMER cop, and two thieves all heisting around. Fantastic stuff. There is a scene where one of the characters is going through the DTs, and giants insects and lizards are appearing around the room. I mention this because I need to know what kind of bugs those were, as they were TERRIFYING. I want to wax on poetic about the cinematography and the strong straight lines scene throughout the film, but I don’t have the words. I can’t help but think the director must have had the obsessive nature of Kubrick to get some of the seamless shots seen throughout the movie. I’m going to see more of the director’s work and then revisit Le Cercle Rouge later.


Sada (1998):
I can’t even… the words are not here for what I witnessed. Why haven’t more people seen this movie? Why aren’t people singing its praises from the rooftops? Sada is a movie about a real woman from Japan who strangled her lover to death and then cut of his genitals and carried them around in her bag until she was caught by the police. Wait, where are you going? No, no, come back, I’m not done yet and you aren’t done either. This movie was amazing. The story of Sada has been told many times apparently (there is a famous movie also based on her story called In the Realm of the Senses) and I imagine has reached an urban legend status in some circles. This movie starts off like Romeo and Juliet with one of the characters introducing the audience to the story, essentially tell us that before we judge we must listen. Then it switches to a rather horrifying rape sequence, which I believe was somehow supposed to be comical? I don’t know, it was comical, but the subject of rape is not. EVER. That scene set a strange bar for the movie from then on. It went through the genre of musical, art film, rom-com, sex farce, and romance, not to mention a little kung-fu tossed in. I cannot possible represent the glory of this crazy chain of genre shift with words, you have to watch it. I watched this amusing farce of a movie, fascinated by all the changes and camera movement, and acting of course, and then something I could never have expected happened. Towards the end of the movie, Sada turns into one of the most romantic films I’ve ever seen. It’s insane and wonderful. I think I have typed myself into incoherence, I’m sorry if that comes out on the page here. So FREAKING good.


Convoy (1978):
Kris Kristofferson is one of the coolest dudes to ever grace the silver screen. His mere presence in a movie is enough to get me excited for a viewing. He has a charisma that oozes off the screen, and that charisma smells like diesel. Convoy is a road/action movie, consisting of a ridiculous battle between cops and truckers. When the main cop is played by Ernest Borgnine, you know you have some something special. I can’t say this is a good movie, not even particularly exciting. What makes this special is that old Joel T standby: Character. If you were to compare the roles in this movie with any modern action movie, you would see the depth of Convoy’s characters. I can’t tell you anything about Shia LeBouf’s character in any of the Transformers movies, but I can tell you about the Rubber Duck’s ex-wife and kids, his motivations for running, his devotion to friendships made on the road, etc. That makes Convoy special, and everything else is at least entertaining for the most part. Would I watch it again? No, probably not. Am I glad I watched it? Totally.


The Way, Way Back (2013):
The Way, Way Back is an 80’s period piece coming-of-age tale, about a young man who is being pummeled with too much change, as all teenagers are at different points in their lives. What’s that? What do you mean it’s not an 80’s movie? Well, yes, I know there was an iPod and a cell phone at one point, but Pac-Man and REO Speedwagon and Station Wagons? Come on. Ok, it turns out that the movie was originally intended to be a period piece, but the budget wouldn’t allow for that, so they changed it to take place in modern times, SLIGHTLY. I don’t usually like coming-of-age movies, because Hollywood has a formula and they like to pump those suckers out, but this movie is better than those even if it does fall into some of the trappings. For the most part, unrealistic characters were left out of the movie, usually inserted for comedy relief. Of course, watch the movie and you’ll see Allison Janney and Jim Rash hamming it up, so it does not escape the troupe completely. Sam Rockwell is amazing, but he usually is. The young actors are not annoying, and that’s all I ask from young actors. The music is good, but it falls into the problem where the queuing up certain tracks is used emphasize certain scenes in the movie. Not just emphasize, but force the viewer into feeling. A particular part that annoyed me was when young Duncan first comes upon the water park, a song proclaims “Is this coincidence or connection?” UNNECCESARY. You need to win the audience over with your script, not force their emotions by pumping out the mood music. I got a lot of laughs out of the film on the whole. It’s a first time film for directors Jim Rash and Nat Faxon, so I am excited for further works from them. As a last note, Steve Carell plays a total asshole in this movie, and he does a fantastic job.



I am tired. This was a pretty good week. I hope you liked what you read. If you have any movie suggestions or things you want me to talk about, please drop me a line on Twitter or Facebook, or right here on the blog. I will leave you with one finally bit. Thanks for reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment