Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Nov 11th 2009. Week relating to 11/3 – 11/9.

Movies Seen: *First time viewing
Simply Irresistible
Fargo*
The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day*
Brick*
Sex and the City: The Movie
Prête-moi ta main*

My brain currently feels what I imagine a fried egg must feel like, and I cannot tell you why. Perhaps I need caffeine, but I’d rather not be jittery AND have a fried brain. I read somewhere that fatty foods make you dumber. In that case I should be a Neanderthal by next year! I want some damn vegatables…

Simply Irresistible:
Don’t give me that look. We all have our guilty pleasures, and this one happens to be MINE (Strokes his orange lantern ring sinisterly). Whenever I watch this movie, I am guaranteed to get that tingly feeling up my spine into the back of my neck, at least 3 times. I mean the good tingly. The kind you get when you are making out with someone you are passionate about. I don’t know why the movie does that to me. It’s a really bad movie. Lame plot, bad music, token black guy. And by token, I mean at one point in the movie the guy says, and I quote: “Somethin’ wiggies goin’ on.” A lot of misspells in that statement according to Word. I like this movie for no good reason except it gives me that feeling. And I’m secretly a romantic. Yeah… that’s it.

Fargo:
You haven’t seen Fargo? Are you tired of this statement and ready to punch the next person who says it right in the nipple? Then allow me to recommend that you stop procrastinating and just go rent the movie. It’s a little bit violent, but really funny. And beautiful. They did such a good job casting everyone who was in this. I really respect Frances McDormand’s work. Having seen Burn After Reading before this one, I didn’t think too much of her. But that whole movie had problems really. She plays someone so unlikeable In Burn, and in Fargo, you love her to pieces. It’s pretty amazing. I could go on about this movie, but something tells me you all know it right? I’m the one who has been in the dark till now. In the dark, counting my gold. GOOOOLLLLLDDDDD!

The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day:
Let’s see… if I recall, I really enjoyed The Boondock Saints. Or was a raving like a lunatic about how good the first movie is? Yeah, that’s what it was. When I saw the first ad for this movie (a banner ad of all things), I immediately felt dread cloud my soul. Why would they make a sequel to a movie so perfect? We’re people screaming for more? I don’t blame them if they were, I just know that sequels have a habit of sullying the name of a good movie. I could not resist seeing this, despite my fears. The movie was done by the same writer and director. It has most of the same people in it. These two things seem crucial, CRUCIAL, in the making of a successful sequel. All and all, the movie was not that bad. I don’t feel like it was a true part 2, as so much more of a tribute to the first movie. It’s not as funny as I hoped it would be, and compared to the first movie, the action left me wanting. But really, they didn’t screw it up, and that’s about all I really hoped for. Julie Benz plays the FBI agent in this movie, and they try really hard to make her sexy. She just does not do it for me. This is no reflection on her acting, which was fine and dandy, but she isn’t a knockout like they tried to make her. I don’t want to tell you too much of what goes on. The boys get into some antics, the mobsters are running scared, the bartender curses because he has Tourette’s. Listen, if you liked the first movie, rent this one when it comes out. It deserves a fair chance.

Brick:
As I type this, I am watching this movie for the second time. I have it paused, so I really am watching it, alright? Get off my back. I will give you the summary of this movie straight out. It’s a film noir detective story, but taking place at a high school/suburbia setting. The main character is played by Joseph Gordon Levitt, who does an amazing job of somehow combining nerd and hard as nails detective. I hate that every time I see that guy I think “Third Rock from the Sun”… He’s a really good actor. So Brick was quite a mind bender for me. They speak really fast, in a very stylized form. Perhaps if I was more familiar with older detective movie I would have understood more the first time around. I really like that stylized speaking though. It adds such a unique flavor to movies and books. The movie is sometimes hard to follow, but it is cinematically beautiful. I mean, really amazing. There is one scene I really love, where some dude attacks Levitt’s character with a knife, which then turns into a really strange and fascinating chase scene. The Foley artists earned their pay checks in that scene for sure. If you haven’t seen the movie, please rent it and tell me how I don’t know crap about movies if you are so motivated. I loved it. I want to say so much about this movie but I am having a really hard time. Words… not… work!

Sex and the City: The Movie:
Please get that theme song out of my head. That delightful piano jingle just does not suit me. So, you’ll notice I did not indicate that this was my first time watching this movie. I saw it in the theatre with Sarah. I was in a sea of women, one of the only guys. It was really strange, and given the motivation I could make it into an epic tale. That’s all I remember about that though. My therapist can tell you more. I like Sex and the City. I have watched the entire HBO series with Sarah, and it is usually very funny. All except the puns. Puns are the devil. Watching this movie was a way for me to unwind my head from all the heavier material I had been watching recently. It’s actually a good movie, if you like the show. It’s like a much longer episode. And it drags sometimes, sure, but what can you really expect I guess. For people making a movie to keep it entertaining the whole time? HA! By the way, if you are wondering, I am probably a Miranda.

Prête-moi ta main:
Translation of the title on the film: The Faux Wedding. The American title: How to Get Married and Stay Single. Let’s just stick with the French shall we? Sarah’s Netflix seems to be an endless source of wonder, and occasional crap (don’t get mad at me!). This was a really good romantic comedy. Or was it…??? See, my thinking is, that mayhap I would not have liked this as much if it had been an exact copy of said movie but done in English by Americans. Am I a snob? Well, yes, but I don’t think I’m a foreign film snob. Prête-moi ta main is about a 40 year old man who is nagged by his sisters and mother into finding a woman (or man) to finally settle down with. He meets some woman, some how, and together they try to pull a fast one. Simple right? It doesn’t pull any fancy tricks or twists and turns, you pretty much know where it’s going the whole time, but it’s still really good. Really funny. Mush funnier than a lot of the horse crap Hollywood puts out. You haven’t ever heard about it, I know, but I tell you, the movie is worth a try. Someone get me a God damn coffee please.

I feel like this entry leaves a lot wanting, and I apologize in advance if anyone agrees with me. I am feeling very burnt out, I may need to take it easy for a week. Next week’s entry, not that week.

No comments:

Post a Comment