Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Oct 28th 2009. Week relating to 10/20 – 10/26

Movies seen: *First time viewing
The Proposal
Hamlet 2*
Step Brothers* (For 40 minutes…)
Before Sunset*

I was at play practice 3 days out of this week, and then had actual shows the next 3. How did I get movies fit into that time? This is the advantage of being unemployed. One of the only advantages. God send me work!

The Proposal:
Saw this at the cheap theatre 3 weeks ago. Had I waited a little longer I could have just watched it on DVD. Wait, that sounds like I didn’t like it. I did. I like Ryan Reynolds a lot, he is a funny guy, good actor. Not too thrilled about a Deadpool movie, but whatever. As for Sandra Bullock, I think she is also a good actress, but I am getting tired of her transformation comedies. You know what I mean, Miss Congeniality, Two Weeks Notice, stuff like that. There’s a formula to romantic comedies, and she likes to stick to what she knows. And it works just fine, but I wouldn’t mind something different.

Hamlet 2:
I was excited to see this in the theatre. I like controversy. It can be really funny. I did not end up seeing it though, after I heard an unusual amount of sighs in relation to people who actually did see it. And having now watched it, I can understand. It was an odd bird. There was funny stuff in it, I guess. I don’t know, it just struck me as a weird mix of slapstick comedy and… you know, the other kind. Anyways, I can’t really recommend it. It’s one of those movies were I think the title doesn’t really tell you what it’s about. Of course, now that I think on it, how often does a title really sum up a movie? (The 40 Year Old Virgin) … Right. Bottom line, not as funny as I hoped.

Step Brothers (For about 40 minutes):
40 minutes. I tried watching this movie on the advice on the T, the Turpster, Mr. Mark Turpin. It’s not really important who I’m talking about, but if you are interested try wow.com or on iTunes the Movielicious. Turpster is really funny himself, so I thought it couldn’t hurt to watch a movie that I was already reluctant to see. I find Will Ferrell to be mostly not of my taste. I like it better when he’s low key. So anyway, I tried. I tried to watch this movie. I tried to laugh. I remember laughing once. It wasn’t at Will or John. Mary Steenburgen said something funny. She’s kind of hot, which is kind of disturbing since she’s old. I mean, much older then me. So, right, the movie. I just have a hard time laughing at adults acting like kids. I just cannot relate. Or perhaps I do relate and find it embarrassing. Either way I couldn’t stand watching it for much longer then I did. When they showed up at the job interviews wearing tuxes…. Yeah, I couldn’t take it anymore. Sorry guys.

Before Sunset:
Before Sunset is the sequel to a movie called Before Sunrise. There we go, those are apt titles. Both movies have situations that must take place during said time periods. Sorry, distracted. They are both dialog heavy romantic dramas. I really like movies with a lot of dialog, I think. As long as it’s smart. Both of these movies are super good. I liked the Before Sunrise better I think, it did some things I’m not used to in movies. It is all based around only two characters, the music all takes place in the movie world (Diegesis), and it’s a really simple plot. The dialog is what drove these movies. The first one takes place when the two people first meet. The second movie, Before Sunset, takes place seven years later. The adjustment of the characters relationships, the aspects of the actors real lives that were placed into the movie, the way everything is handled so real makes it amazing. The first film alone would have made a great one time cliff hanger sort of movie, but I’m glad they made a sequel. I really recommend both films.



And that covers the week. I know, it’s late, and I already have another week ready to write up. But I couldn’t just bypass this one and move on. I saw at least one good music, heh. Hope everyone else saw some good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment