Search This Blog

Friday, November 6, 2009

Nov 2nd 2009. Week relating to 10/27 – 11/2

Movies Seen: *First Time Viewing
The Brothers Bloom*
Predator*
The Mexican
The Boondock Saints
Creepshow*
Shadow of a Doubt*

What a week. Finished the play I was in. Both depressing and a relief. I really enjoy acting and working with others in the stage. Then when I tried to go to class to go see Memento the following Monday, I sort of lost my mind. I felt all this pressure suddenly build up about the things I want to be, what I want to do, everything that is expected of me. So, no class for me that day. No outside world if I could help it. Everything’s better now. I have realized that the world will not come crashing down if I don’t meet every goal I set for myself. Nice and easy, one step at a time. So what if I’m almost 30 and haven’t any children…. Oh God it’s coming back!

See where my priorities are?

The Brothers Bloom:
Wow. Wow wow wow. This movie was an awesome combination between a quirky Wes Anderson comedy and a Con movie (I like to call them confidence films.). It’s not Wes Anderson by the way, it’s Rian Johnson. The movie has a lot of things going on visually, stylistically visual, BLAH! I cannot describe what I mean. It looked great, there, I said it. It was FUNNY. Really funny. Had me laughing out loud and smiling wickedly and embarrassing Sarah in her own house, which admittedly is not that hard for me to do. Will Christmas, you and I love our Heist/Con/Confidence movies. You’ll love this one man, check it out. Or maybe you’ll hate it. Crap! Am I over selling this? It is a really good movie. It stars Mark Ruffalo and Adrian Brody and Rachel Weisz. If you like any of those actors you should see it. Fer reals.

Predator:
So, now I finally know which Schwarzenegger movie people are quoting when they yell at me to “GET TO THE CHOPPA!” I simply assumed this came from all his movies. I’m joking, I’ve seen lots of Arnie’s movies. The man has quotable lines from everything. I’ll bet someone is quoting Jingle All the Way right now. Oh Sinbad, you rascal. Anyway. Predator. The movie seemed really, REALLY lame for the first half. I’m not a fan of armys of supreme bad asses going into a village to slaughter the natives, terrorists or what not. At least it had a lot of funny lines. He stabbed that guy to a box, and said “Stick around”! PRICELESS. And guess what, I ain’t got time to bleed either Jessie. No sir I don’t. Even if it does look like you have mumps the whole time. Off track, right. I think it finally started to get interesting when the predator alien actually got into the thick of things, taking them out one by one. Although that cheap shot at Mr. Ventura was pretty lame. I, too, would have unloaded several clips of ammo in the jungle in hope that I might hit something. Yeah, that’s the ticket. So the movie got really good when all the dead weight was gone, eg everyone but Arnie. Then he montages himself into SUPER badass mode (Over 9000!) and goes hunting. And gets his ass kicked, like he should. But then he wins, you know, because he is The Predaterminator… yeah, that’s it. And really, if I saw an alien with dreadlocks, I’d kick him in the nuts too. Tee hee, I made myself laugh. Sigh. I’m glad I watched Predator, a seminal film in every boy’s life. Too bad I waited till I was 28. Show it to your kids for a lark. They can hack it.

The Mexican:
The viewing of this movie was a little experiment I had wanted to try for a while. My taste in movies over the years has evolved, and I know there are things I used to like that I wouldn’t like now. I remembered really liking the Mexican, and I also remember people really hating it. It has a 56% on Rotten Tomatoes, ew, that does not bode well. By the way, I just looked up the definition of bode and now the word makes sense (off topic Joel, get back on track…). I thought that perhaps I would view this movie with a more critical eye this time around, seeing the flaws that every other critic already had. And the conclusion to this long winded tale? The movie may have been a bit too long winded. It is a dialog heavy movie. But I like that. I can understand why people would get bored though. Even so, I thought it was funny and really creative. With the twists and turns it was sort of a confidence flick. You don’t know what’s really going on until the end. Brad Pitt was good, Julia Roberts was good, James Gandolfini was AWESOME. So was J.K. Simmons, this may be the first movie I had seen him in, although I can’t say for sure. The Mexican was funny, violent, and visually pleasing (no, I am not describing myself). Perhaps you avoided this flick, knowing that the critics had suggested it better to receive an enema and then listen to Bach. I have one thing to say to you: The director for this is Gore Verbinski, the man who brought you Pirates of the Caribbean. Give it a try.

The Boondock Saints:
Listen here: If you like Tarintino movies (ie violence, snappy dialog, great music, awesomeness) then stop reading this and go rent this movie. I’ll wait……………. IT WAS GREAT RIGHT?! I KNOW!!!! I can’t remember the circumstances in which I was first coerced to watch this movie, but I can say it was before I was seeing it everywhere (I know, people always say that). I didn’t see it in the theatre, it must have been at good ol’ Shane’s house. And we (Shane, me, our assorted friends) have loved it ever since. It’s nice to see a little vigilante-ism every once in a while. Makes you feel like things aren’t so bad in the world. Or maybe it is bad, but you could do something about it with enough ammunition. Who played the fat Russian boss? He was great, hee hee. And I don’t know if you know this, but I love Sean Patrick Flannery as it is. So, yeah. I really don’t want to talk about this movie too much, because if you haven’t seen it like I told you too, you really should. It is so SO good. Wonder how the sequel is…

Creepshow:
Ah, Halloween. The one night a year I let my hair down and do exactly what I do every day. Yes, I don’t really find Halloween to be a very enjoyable holiday, despite the access to delicious candy everywhere I go. I don’t like dressing up, I don’t like being startled, and I don’t like horror movies. I avoid them when I can for the most part. But seeing as it was the season for such things, I decided I could be convinced to watch this movie, Creepshow. Scripted by Stephen King, directed by George Romero, how bad could it be? Answer: So bad it’s hilarious. This movie had me laughing pretty damn hard. From watching Ed Harris dance around, to seeing Ted Danson buried up to his neck, this thing was a laugh a minute. And Stephen King is probably one of the funniest actors I have seen in a long while. Pure GOLD. Next time I declare I WANT MY CAKE…. You can thank Creepshow, and not my general obesity. Thanks to Kempo for forcing this flick on me!

Shadow of a Doubt:
Alfred Hitchcock. I think I can count the movies I have seen of his on one hand. I wish I had more in my queue, but I have a hard time watching black and whites. I’m a dumbass that way I guess. I rented this movie based on it being heavily used in the first chapter of my text book on film. Figured I couldn’t go wrong there. Unfortunately, while I did notice the camera angles used, and the menacing feeling given throughout, I really didn’t enjoy it. See, there are these two kids in the movie, that are supposed to be funny, and they are, sometimes. Most of the time though, I wanted to strangle them. They reminded me of the bad kids in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. SHUT UP CHILDREN! And the lead actress got on my nerves too. She just seemed to deliver all her lines very… I don’t know… like she was trying to do an Audrey Hepburn imitation. It didn’t work. The best part of the movie for me on the other hand, was the dad and the next door neighbor. They were constantly talking about ways to kill people, it was funny. Not that I think killing people is funny. The way it’s done in the film is supposed to be funny. Right? … Anyway, I can’t really recommend Shadow of a Doubt. I’m surprised that I read that a lot of people think this was Hitchcock’s best film. I’m worried about seeing the rest of them now.

Another week, another set of films. I love watching this many movies. And I love watching them socially better, because talking about the film is almost as good as watching them. If anyone wants to catch a flick, please hit me up. I’m up for most anything. Unless it starts with the words “Tyler Perry’s”.

No comments:

Post a Comment