Search This Blog

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Nov 17th 2009. Week relating to 11/10 – 11/16.

Movies Seen: *First Time Viewed
Way of the Gun*
Hunt for the Red October*
Interview with the Vampire
The Big Lebowski
Coco avant Chanel*
Il Postino*

Some kind of magical week took place, it is apparent to me upon reflection, in this, my boring unemployed life. I saw 1 new movie I will love from now on, 1 movie I have seen many times, but for the first time ON THE BIG SCREEEEEEEN(!) and one movie, that somehow unexplainably had me thinking about it days after seeing it, wondering WHY I didn’t like it as much as I thought I would. To proceed is an estimation of my tiny brain’s thoughts on said movies, plus free peanuts! What’s that? Oh, I ate all the peanuts. Sucks to be you.

Way of the Gun:
This wicked vehicle of destruction. My brain was wrapped around this flick in a desperate attempt to find its flaws and see why they made me so sore. Translation: What a weird movie. I mean, it was trying really hard to be a cool gangster/confidence/dialogue heavy feature, where men are men, and the rich get what they deserve, or something like that. This movie merits at least one more watch through, so I can just… TEAR IT APART. My initial reaction was I did not like it, and I stand by this feeling. I don’t like that through the course of the movie we hardly got to know the characters at all. I don’t like how it tried to make all these despicable people interesting. There was nothing to invest in. EXCEPT: James Caan. This is the first flick I have seen where I was wowed by the man. He plays a smart and scary old school bag man. And not bag man hobo, bag man gangster. Way of the Gun (heh heh, I typed Gum instead of Gun) was a story about an EFFED up situation. The violence was shallow, the plot confusing, and the characters just under developed. I can’t recommend it, unless someone wants to sit down with me and explain it better then my pal Will did. No offense Will.

Hunt for the Red October:
After a few days consideration, I have decided I can’t give this movie a fair assessment. I was watching a TV version of the movie with commercial interruptions, and was on my phone most of the time. I like Sean Connery, Alec Baldwin, and Sam Neill, so I’m pretty sure this movie deserves an actual close look.

Interview with the Vampire:
Another TV version of a movie, but one I have seen a few times before. I love Tom Cruise in this movie. I really think it’s like no other role I have ever seen him in. Compared to Tom, Brad Pitt was blah in this movie. I’ve read the book, and I really liked it, probably more than the movie. The flick has its charms though. Its shot really well, has good acting all around. I wish that they had continued to adapt the books this well, but as we all know, Queen of the Damned. I haven’t ever seen it myself and I don’t want to. Sarah one time gave me a hilarious description of the movie after I had just finished the book, and based on that it sounds like I would simultaneously be throwing up and laughing if I watched it. Kudos to anyone who stomached it, you are braver than I.

The Big Lebowski:
What can I possibly say about a movie so perfect? So finely crafted it brought tears to my eyes seeing it on the big screen? What an experience. This movie is amazing any time you watch it, but having seeing it in the theatre now I don’t want it any other way. Not to say I won’t watch it on tv again. I will sit there, enjoy every moment of it, but inside of me will be an almost silent voice saying over and over “Its not the same.” Let me see, if you haven’t seen the Big Lebowski, and you are friend of mine, strike one. We need to alleviate this ASAP. Call in sick to work, pull the fire alarm at school, shoot you children with the tranqs! Its time to take a break, whip up a couple white Russians, and lay down on your favorite rug. You know, the one that really ties the room together. Then we will talk.

Coco Avant Chanel:
Ah, le French. I like more and more French movies. I wonder what other countries I should be inspecting when it comes to film? I always hear German this and German that in film class. Somehow, I don’t think I’m ready for that yet. Anyway, Coco. This movie was ruined for me I think, because I had already seen the Lifetime version of Coco Chanel’s life story. I thought that the tv version wasn’t too bad, considering it was a Lifetime movie. I like Audrey Tatou, so I thought I would really like Coco Avant Chanel, but it didn’t work out. I think it was just too slow for my liking. It was 2 hours long, but it felt longer. The acting was superb though. And Coco Chanel had a pretty interesting life, making an interesting story to tell. I can understand why people are inspired by her. So, I just want to put this to rest by saying I liked the movie and am glad I saw it, but I don’t think I’d watch it again. Sarah is going to break up with me for that one. She loves Coco Chanel.
As a side note, I need to learn French. I am tired of subtitles.

Il Postino:
And I suppose I should learn Italian while I am at it. This movie, THIS MOVIE, is so freaking charming. Yeah, freaking and charming in the same sentence, get over it. Based on the movie poster alone, I thought this movie would be about some suave postal worker who seduces the pants off the ladies. Actually, it’s about a buffoon. A buffoon and a world famous poet. It’s a really lovely story and it is really well acted. I can understand why it got so many awards. I think if I had seen this dubbed, instead of with subtitles, I would have wanted to kill the main character because he is just really pathetic most of the time. But for some reason, in Italian, he becomes endearing. You cannot help but love him, and feel for him in his circumstance. He lives in this tiny village and if you don’t become a fisherman, there is really nothing else to do. Kind of like Fillmore… except no fishermen here. It was a really good movie, I recommend it highly. I want a copy of it so I can watch it again now!

Now that I am done with this, I demand a frosty chocolate milk shake. Or a nap. Or both.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joel. Regarding 'Way of the Gun'...blow me.

    ReplyDelete