Search This Blog

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Review: Away We Go

Synopsis: An early 30’s couple get pregnant and go across the country looking for family, a place to call home, and the true meaning of Christmas (ok, not really).

Stars: John Krasinski, Maya Rudolph, Catherine O’Hara, Jeff Daniels, Allison Janney, Jim Gaffigan, Maggie Gyllenhaal

I am biased. I was excited for this movie ever since I started hearing reviews for it. The people whose opinions I respect when it comes to reviewing films have been raving about this movie since the early previews. So, I apologize in advance for this. I agreed with all they said on almost all points. Someone said this was the Juno of 2009! I want to smack this person, as Juno has nothing to do with this movie, other then the female lead is pregnant. NOTHING YOU SICKO! This is not a teen movie disguised as an indie film. If anything, it was the Garden State of 2009. If that’s not your cup ‘o tea, go watch a movie starring John Cena. By the way, I also apologize to all you Juno fans out there. I saw it after all the hype and felt disappointed.

What I Liked:
Main Characters- Oh Burt and Verona. You two. YOU TWO. The relationship between the main couple was unrealistic in most senses. No one has a relationship that good. No one understands each other’s personality, quirks, mannerisms, hygiene (?) like that. But the way they acted together, the chemistry of the characters was intoxicating. Beautiful. This was a couple you could feel good for, sorry for, worry for, give a flying EFF about. And that is important because they are the glue to every whacky detail in the story. Their journey would not have been as meaningful if they had been the couple that fights all the time. This is leading to another Like point.

The Journey- So, spoilers? The main couple travel around the states, looking for a place they can settle and be near people that they can relate too. They meet up with couple after couple that are just not what they are or will ever be. We meet a couple of bad parents, funny stuff and also sad. Then we meet the EXTREME hippies that just throw out what the man has told them they have to do with children and make everything their own to an INSANE level. And rather than continue with the “everyone is crazy but us” theme, we meet a good family. And that makes it all the more tragic when you find out what their real deal is. The point is, when it comes to pacing, their travels around the country have no boring, uninteresting, or pointless parts. You are worried about Burt and Verona. You want everything to be ok. But sometimes you wonder how that can be in a world so crazy. That’s when it all comes to

The Ending- It was great the way it ended. That’s all I’m going to say.

Things I Didn’t Like and/or Hated:
I hate to disappoint the few people who read this, but I have no gripes this time.

Verdict:
Really? You need a verdict? I freaking loved this movie. I recommend it to everyone who likes movies like Garden State. It was amazing. I am going to go see it again. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment