Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Review: The Ugly Truth

Synopsis: A woman who is in charge of a failing morning show is forced to work with a man she despises. You can pretty much guess what happens, it is after all, a romantic comedy.

Stars: Katherine Heigl, Gerard Butler, Bree Turner (I kept trying to place this woman’s face the whole movie and couldn’t. I am sorry to say after some research, I discovered that I recognize her from Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo as the fish store attendant), Eric Winter, John Michael Higgins, Cheryl Hines, Nick Searcy

Romantic comedies. I cannot lie on this and tell you that I am above such entertainment. They are a guilty pleasure of mine, just like many other people. I go to them because they are laid back, usually easy to watch and follow, funny, and relatable. So sue me for seeming to have a sensitive side. My girlfriend would tell you that I am overly sensitive, which would in turn, make me cry. Salty sad tears of… sadness. Right.
I quite enjoyed this film. It was a nice relaxing comedy for me to just enjoy and not get too worried about. I knew it was either going to be really bad or just fine. Just fine it was.

What I Liked:
Katherine Heigl- I SO want to dislike this woman. In her personal life, which is no business of mine but I cannot help but be exposed to it due to the way this country handles it celebrities, she is an obnoxious bitch. She seems to be a fine actress though. I have found here very likable in both of the movies I have seen her in (the other of course being Knocked Up). How does she pull that off? She must go to hours of acting classes every day to see what it’s like to be a nice and/or smart person.

Gerard Butler- It’s not quite true that I liked him 100% of the time. I liked Gerard Butler most of the time. Whenever he wasn’t being the over the top chauvinistic pig I liked him. Whenever he had scenes with Katherine Heigl I liked. Of course, maybe that was the point. Maybe I wasn’t supposed to like him when he was over acting like that? Brilliant! Ok, brilliant is too much. I feel dumb now that I’ve thought that out.

What I Didn’t Like:
Generic predictable storyline- I can’t really fault the movie for this. I mean, it’s a romantic comedy! You get what you paid for. For me to find something completely original in any such movie would come as a total shock to me and I look forward to it happening someday. As of now, hasn’t happened. It didn’t take away from the movie for me to know how it would turn out. I’m just saying that it wasn’t anything new.

What I Hated:
Soundtrack- Once again, for a romantic comedy, this is practically a given. There was some really REALLY bad music. Of course. I hate that “Take me away” song they play on those damned commercials.

Verdict:
I explained to my pal Will how I rate the movies in my head, and I suppose it would be fair to tell anyone else who bothers to read this what I think when it comes down to the verdicts. It’s a number system, because numbers are easy. The number correlates to how I felt after seeing the movie.
5- Go see it in the theater. Pay any damn price!
4- See it in the theater at a matinee. This means that I liked the movie, but I don’t necessarily think it has to be seen on the big screen to appreciate it. It could be a rental and still enjoyed.
3- Rent it. Means I liked it, but not enough that I feel you should rush out to see it.
2- Rent at your own risk. This one can mean that I was sorry I saw it on the big screen but I think it should be watched for some amusing things about it, or because it has some good scenes. Or maybe because you are going to watch it anyways because you are sick in the head.
1- This means that the actual film on which the movie is printed should be taken out to the street and publicly burned. Possibly while dancing and asking the Gods for forgiveness.

Does that help anyone else? It helps me. This movie is a 4 in my opinion. I liked it. I would see it again if so prompted. But I’m a sucker for the romcoms, like I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment