Search This Blog

Friday, April 11, 2014

Review: The Conversation


The Conversation (1974):

Synopsis – Harry Caul is a solitary and private man, but only when it comes to his own life. His work requires him to eavesdrop over anyone dictated to him, and he is a master of the game. When a job he has taken begins to stink of a cover-up, Harry finds that his curiosity in the matter only rewards him with more exposure. But he won't stop till he knows what is what no matter the expense.


Movie #2 in my April Film Project, The Conversation is one of a handful of masterpieces that Francis Ford Coppola directed before he lost his edge. And by edge I mean he stopped making masterpieces specifically, he still does decent work from time to time (I am only speculating, I haven't seen one of his recent movies). Although I had heard of The Conversation before, I can’t really place the person who told me about it. It’s true that I have spent a lot of time reading about film and film works that I should invest my time in, but I feel like an actual person told me “You should really watch this movie.” Perhaps that person, like Harry Caul in the film, prefers to be hidden from society and I was lucky enough to get any info from them at all. Either way, I am super happy I got to see this film. This is going to make me sound really stupid, but having seen Enemy of the State quite a few times I felt this joy upon seeing Gene Hackman play a much quieter version of his character from that Will Smith movie. I haven’t watched Enemy in years, I’m sure it doesn't hold up.

What I Liked:
-In a film that focuses so much on what people observe, everything is done right in sound and camera departments. The small and contained shots when Harry and his companions are being secretive serve as a counter to the wide open, sweeping shots of the 70’s whenever Harry is out in the open and is exposed to any amount of observation himself. As for sound direction, I can only say that everything worked perfectly for the movie. I am not an audiophile; it’s something I need to study more.
-This movie plays around a lot with what you are seeing as a viewer. We are made to see things that may only be in Harry’s mind, but at the moment they seem just as real as anything else that happens. Are they the visions of a man who has become so paranoid he cannot help but envision exactly what his mind is imagining? Are they real? We as viewers are turned on our head and even in the end when the plot is revealed one cannot be sure what was true and what poor Harry had only made up in his paranoid daydreams.
-I did not recognize John Cazale, and all it took was a pair of glasses. Not I can see why Superman got away with it for some many years!

What I Didn't Like:
-There were a few moments when the soundtrack was a bit jarring, but even at this point I can’t really remember exactly when I was bothered. A minor complaint.

What I Hated:
-Nothing.


Verdict:
The Conversation is an excellent movie, but I don’t need to tell you that. At this point it’s history. But maybe you are like me and you hadn't really heard about it before. If you want to see a great thriller, please check it out. It’s currently streaming on Netflix!

No comments:

Post a Comment