Search This Blog

Friday, April 18, 2014

Review: Valhalla Rising


Valhalla Rising (2009):

Synopsis – When One-Eye is freed after years of slavery, he begins a journey that takes him over the ocean to a new world, leading a group of men who are already lost even further into the unknown.


Nicolas Winding Refn has a unique film catalogue. From Pusher to Only God Forgives, the man seems to have a narrow vision when it comes to his themes. People are animals, violent and unpredictable, and the intensity of everyday life can be terrifying. Of the films of his that I’d seen previously, all three were something special. Dark, beautiful, fantastic music, two volumes of acting (quiet and loud). His movies seem to be trying to leave the entertainment factor of film on the wayside, and focus more on craft, pure and simple. This is of course, right up my alley. Anything different is something I want to see. When I sat down to watch Valhalla Rising, I set my expectations rather high. I had heard mostly negative things about it, but the same can be said for Only God Forgives, and I loved that movie, so I figured I might love this one as well! I didn’t. The movie is fine, but it almost takes the craft I talked about to its logical conclusion, leaving a beautiful picture and not much else. There wasn’t even enough violence to make up for the empty plot, and that is something I had come to expect from Refn’s films (intense violence, that is).

What I Liked:
-I confess. I am mad about Mads. Mads Mikkelsen’s unique face and very reserved acting style appeals to me greatly. And since the rest of the country seems to agree with me at this point I suppose I don’t really have to justify my opinion. I do wish he had more than 2 expressions through. There is smile and there is no smile. All the expression an actor of his caliber needs I suppose.
-The cinematography is very lovely, although there really isn’t anything too special about the locations of the film. Most of the movie is shot almost documentary like, holding focus in one direction as the actors move about or sail on a river. The cinematography manages to make the unexciting environments of the films somehow fantastic to observe.

What I Didn’t Like:
-The film feels like it is missing at least 30 minutes of content, and therefore context. It’s supposed to come off as a fever dream or acid trip, and I can certainly see that direction (Vikings and endless oceans have certainly been in a few of my nightmares), but it still doesn’t make up for the fact that the substance that holds your attention throughout the film turns out to be ultimately hollow. The depth and nuance that make Drive and Only God Forgive work so well are just not here beyond the surface.

What I Hated:
-I can’t really remember what happened in this movie. When that happens I can usually point to things, like I was looking at my phone or someone was talking to me, as an excuse. Here, I think there was just nothing but smoke left for my brain to hold onto afterward, and smoke dissipates.


Verdict:
I am mostly negative on this film, but I am not sorry I watched it. I don’t feel like I wasted my time. It was very pretty to look at, and the acting is very solid. It might be a nice film to put on if you are showing off your new big screen and speaker set, otherwise, unless you are Mads Mikkelsen completest I can’t recommend the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment