Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Review: Sunrise A Song of Two Humans


Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927):

Synopsis – A man who has grown tired of his life plots with a woman (from the city no less) to murder his wife and sell the farm! We’ve all been there right? Right?


Silent film continues to blow me away. I watch these masterpieces and remember that little shit I used to be, the one who said “all black and white movies are boring.” I don’t think that is too uncommon an opinion in the age I grew up in, and I wouldn’t be surprised if something extremely similar someday slips from the mouth of one of my nieces or nephews. Now, I cannot believe how much I’ve been missing. This movie was so amazing it might jump straight up into my top 10 list. An hour and a half silent film that ran my emotions through the ringer more than once! I am so happy I watched this movie, and I cannot wait to force it upon my friends.

What I Liked:
-I cannot get over how masterfully the plot of the movie is handled. So much story is conveyed in the actors faces and movements, in the scenery and the score (I don’t know if it’s a faux-pas to mention the score of a silent film, but the one on the YouTube version I watched was AMAZING), and in the subtle use of title cards during the movie. The joyfulness of the second act of the film somehow made me forget the heinous acts of the man in the first act. And even when the third act on the boat trip home is set up so obviously, I could not help but be riveted because of my investment in the characters.
-The copy of the film looks amazing. I watched an HD version that was on YouTube for free, and it was like being transported into a theater and seeing it as a brand new release. The effects used in the movie are all complimentary and pretty astonishing in context to the time period. Or maybe they aren’t! I am not familiar enough with film from the time period yet to make that call. I was just blown away by what can only be called movie magic. The use of super-imposed screens to show what was being imagined and the sets that truly gave the illusion of the locations they portrayed (farmland, city, a fair!) were perfect. Absolutely perfect.

What I Didn’t Like and What I Hated:
-This movie is as close to perfect as you can get.


Verdict:

When I break-down a film, and both the “didn’t like” and “hate” sections are empty, I’m sure can guess how I felt about the film in the end (although sometimes the complaints are so minor they just don’t bare worth mentioning). This film is a masterpiece through and through. And you know what? It’s available to watch FOR FREE on YouTube right now! If you have any interest in silent film that isn’t a straight comedy, please check this movie out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment