Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Review: A Woman Under the Influence


A Woman under the Influence (1974):

Synopsis – A wife and husband try to keep control of their family life, while the wife begins to lose control of herself in various destructive ways.


Movie #1 in the April Movie Project, I have only seen one other movie directed by John Cassavetes. The Killing of a Chinese Bookie was a different animal than most cinema, one where the adjective “raw” actually fits quite perfectly. The characters in the movie were sleazy, and human, and way too familiar for comfort. Cassavetes seems to be able to get performances out his actors that leave every bit of falseness to the side. Watching A Woman Under the Influence was another raw experience, but domestically based and therefore much more relatable/disturbing. I am going to stick with my normal breakdown categories, but to say I liked any part of the movie seems a bit strong. To be more accurate, I was fascinated by it.

What I Liked:
-There is a reason I only mentioned 2 actors in a movie filled with great performances. Gena Rowlands does some absolutely astonishing work in this movie. Her character is a woman so broken, so downtrodden and depressed it tears at your heart. When a person acts the way she does in this movie, it cries for the kind of help that is not in the average person’s hand. You see her acting childish and speaking to herself and all you can do is look in horror because this isn’t the act of an attention seeking simpleton. This woman is DAMAGED. And she is getting no help.
-I love Peter Falk, and after this film that love was simple doubled. If you are used to seeing the man only playing Columbo, like I was, this role is a gigantic eye opener. The depths of love combined depravity he put on display made me hate him so bad. I could have jumped on to the screen and kill him sometimes! But other times he would be so gentle and honest, so caring that he became a shade of gray on the sunny side, another completely mixed up soul in the mixed up universe of this world. There is no other way to put it, he was brilliant.
-There is nothing false about the world that Cassavetes sets before you. Although I cannot imagine watching this movie again right now, I know I am going to want to go back and take a look at that side of cinema again.

What I Didn’t Like:
-There is something sticky about John Cassavetes’ films. This opinion is based solely on the two I have seen of course, so I am jumping to a conclusion a bit too prematurely. Never the less, after both times watching one of his movies I felt a little bit soiled. It was as if I had just peaked through the window into someone’s house and saw things that were secret, and secret for a good reason. The only reason that this observation is under “What I Didn’t Like” is because the feeling is unsettling, but it is also quite marvelous.

What I Hated:
-Nothing.


Verdict:
This is an extremely intense movie and I will recommend it if you are looking for something different than what Hollywood does, even the indie side of Hollywood, and if you can stand seeing a woman hit. It is one of the most “mature” movies I have ever seen.

I think this film is regarded as Cassavetes’ best film. If so I can completely see why. I do intend to watch this movie again, study it a little like an interesting insect and poke at my concept of film until I am satisfied with my basic understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment