Search This Blog

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Review: Funny GIrl


Funny Girl (1968):

Synopsis – She wants to be a star, so she does that. And apparently she’s ugly? I mean, she’s not conventionally beautiful, but ugly? C’mon. Well, anyway, she gets by on her self-deprecating sense of humor and her denial of rejection in all its forms.


Movie #4 in the March movie project, I asked my mom what makes Funny Girl special to her:
“I love the ugly duckling makes good story. I memorized every song. Barbra Streisand became a hero to me.”
“I hated her in Hello Dolly though.”
I just added that last part in on a whim, I don’t know if she wanted me to. My mom is a funny lady, which happens to be the sequel to Funny Girl, but also a fact. I really doubt she was ever the ugly duckling. I’m biased, I know, but my mom has always been a beautiful woman, and she was even in some musical productions (not to mention a band or two). I can’t imagine her ever comparing herself to Fanny Brice from this movie, but perhaps that’s something everyone does. Funny Girl is the most completely acceptable musical I have seen on film in a long time. By which I mean I didn’t have an issue with any part of the story or music. And you know why it works for me? The sense of humor, it gets me every time. I like self-deprecating humor, I use it a lot myself, so with Streisand throwing out all the “who me?” type jokes, I was bound to enjoy everything she said. I can understand why it would be a turn off for some people though. It gets tiresome when you know someone like that in real life. And Streisand now has a reputation as a diva so maybe the jokes would come off false to the average viewer. But she was a practically a nobody when this movie was made. There is an innocence of character that is right there on the screen, and I appreciate that.

What I Liked:
-Barbra Streisand is funny. I know at this point of pop culture history Streisand is considered a joke or not all most of the time, but she shows some serious chops in this movie. Every joke she throws out lands smoothly and her expressions are all perfect for each situation. I don’t know if she was just reading from a script, but it felt perfectly natural for her.
-It was good to hear these songs in context to the movies. I think I had heard most of them before, once again usually poking fun at Barbra Streisand, and until now they hadn’t really had in impact on me. Don’t Rain on My Parade always seemed like a weird and defensive song, but in the context of this film it is quite good.
-It looks like this was an adaptation of the stage production of the same name. If that is the case, then this is how you do that. One of my complaints about My Fair Lady was how stagnant all the environments felt because they seem to have built a bunch of sets directly based off of the play, making it feel unnatural, unlived in. Funny Girl doesn’t have that problem at all. Everything feels real and lived in and still manages to work in a musical.

What I Didn’t Like:
-Well, since this story is semi-based on someone’s real life, I guess faulting the story feels a little hollow. But that ending is really against the tone of the rest of the movie.

What I Hated:
-Nothing

Verdict:

A good and funny musical with a downer ending, this is now another movie I long to see projected. A nice way to spend a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment