Search This Blog

Friday, March 28, 2014

Review: A Room with a View

A Room with a View (1985):

Synopsis – On holiday in Florence, Lucy and Dame Maggie Smith are accosted by two brutish men who insist that they exchange their rooms. The room they receive turns out to have an amazing view and is the trigger to a series of action packed moments including: kissing in a field; nude men bathing together; Lincoln/Bob the Butcher being a gigantic nerd; Dame Judy Dench!


This movie belongs in the prestigious halls of “Movies That Sarah Love.” I don’t know how many times she has watched it, but I know it’s up there. I got her a Blu-Ray copy for Christmas last year, which had to be imported from England and cost me quite a bit, but anything to make her happy. This is the first time, as far as I know, that we had put this copy to the test. I was actually quite worried that there would be a region issue with the disc and we would only be able to watch it on a computer (the only computer we currently have is a crappy laptop, from which I am currently typing). Luckily, it played perfectly fine and looked great on the tv. I am falling in love with this movie, just as much as she already is in love with it. It is a film along the lines of some of Oscar Wilde’s work, without all the snark and sexuality thrown about. A milder affair that is just as funny and very relatable. What makes me like it the most though is how much Sarah likes it. When someone loves a movie, and any movie, I feel a secret tingle of joy for them. That means that there is something important to be found in the footage that they treasure, and everyone is unique in what works for them.

What I Liked:
-Sometimes a movie is just fun. Do you watch Downton Abbey? You know how in-between the drama bits there are light slice-of-life snippets that are funny? Well, this is a whole movie of that with a plot that compliments it. I don’t want to be dismissive as I mean this as a compliment, but this is the kind of movie you can just put on in the background whilst going about your daily business. Any time you look at the screen, chances are you are going to smile at what you see.
-While the romantic protagonists don’t actually have much screen time together, the sense is that love is in the air and in the back of people’s minds throughout the movie. But this isn’t really a movie about romance; it is a comedy through and through, and a great one at that.

What I Didn’t Like:
-No one, and I mean NO ONE, needs to see that many grown men naked at once. Argue as much as you want. But seriously, that scene is pretty hilarious.

What I Hated:
-Nothing to hate.


Verdict:

When it comes to flaws, the only thing I can think to point out about this movie is that it is slight in nature. There is no big lesson to be taught, nothing spectacular being done by the film makers. It is just a perfect little period piece comedy, one that isn’t forced in anyway. It’s so nice to have a film like it to rely upon to deliver a satisfactory experience every time you decided to watch it. Like that warm blanket you’ve had for years, it is pure comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment