Search This Blog

Monday, March 3, 2014

Review: The LEGO Movie!


The Lego Movie (2014):
Synopsis- Prophecy speaks of a master builder who will find the “Piece of Resistance” and finally end President Business’ reign of absolute control. Fun times adventure movie goodness.

Staring- Lego brand construction bricks and characters. Voiced by Chris Pratt, Elizabeth Banks, Will Arnett, Will Ferrell, Morgan Freeman, and many, many more. I’d advise you not to read too much from the cast list because there are many cameos that are only made better by not knowing they are coming.

There has been this amazing renaissance in animated movies in the last few years, where truly entertaining scripts have been transformed into truly entertaining cinema. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, How to Train Your Dragon, and of course some of the Pixar fare have been raising the bar higher and higher. The Lego Movie seems on the surface like a kind of cash grab, riding on the popularity of them many Lego oriented video games, but it is SO MUCH MORE THAN THAT. I mean, it is totally a cash grab that works. I saw it with 2 other adults and all three of us were dying to go buy some Lego sets afterward (we didn’t). Besides all that is one of the funniest, most entertaining movies I've seen in such a long time. My friends and I saw it in a theater crowded with kids and parents, and everyone was having a fantastic time. SO many times I turned to look at Sarah to see her laughing or covering her face because it was so silly and she was embarrassed and adorable. Sarah hates computer animated movies normally, but this one has a style that is almost stop animation like, but much smoother.

What I Liked:
- Incredibly witty dialogue. This was written by the guys who did Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 1 & 2 and 21 Jump Street.
- So many good sight gags. I know I could watch this movie a few times and still not have seen anything.
-Cameos that made me smile till my face hurt. Not just superheroes, but celebrities and toys from my childhood.
-Fun story line.

What I Didn't Like:
-SPOILER The movie has only one lull in its pace, and that is when a scene is inserted that takes place in the real world. It is a very minor thing, and I don't even think it needs to be taken out of the movie as it ties together some of the story elements rather well. Just something I noted.

What I Hated:
-I hated that I couldn't watch over again right away.

Verdict:
I don't know if you can tell, but I'm kind of in love with this movie. Everyone should go see it in some format or another. Take the kids, don't take the kids. You are going to have a great time no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment