Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Review: Mississippi Masala


Mississippi Masala (1991):

Synopsis – An India family flees from Uganda to Mississippi, and despite the movie’s title does not open up an Indian/Soul food kitchen. Five years later they are members of the community but still outsiders in every way imaginable.


Movie #5 in my March blog project, I asked my mom what made Mississippi special to her:

“I just love the characters. Love me some Denzel. I’m a sucker for love conquers all. Dad and I were an unlikely couple 43 years ago and here we are today.”

Mom, you can’t give me quotes that make me tear up like that; it makes it hard to continue my self-image of manliness. Mississippi Masala was a very interesting movie. They packed a lot of story into its two hour run time, and almost all of it was top notch. They could have based a story simply on the father’s struggles after being forced out of Uganda when Idi Amin (you know, the guy from The Last King of Scotland) took over, but because they took the story in many directions, the film is much more significant than a simple riches to rags struggle story. I’m seriously having a difficult time remembering all of the story points that were laid out in this tale, but I don’t feel that that is a negative of the film. Jay (Father) is obsessed with the land he left behind, neither Indian nor Ugandan anymore. Kinnu (Mother) is worried about father, while also being worried about their daughter and where she will end up in life, married to a rich man? Or forced to struggle everyday as they do. Meena (Daughter) is an attractive woman of low standing who still has the eye of some of the rich boys and is a bit rebellious, as her father taught her to be. This all sounds really cheesy when I type it out, but the movie is not like that at all. That only sums up 1/10 of what is going on in this movie. I haven’t begun to get into poor Denzel’s lot in life, having to work hard to support his family, making his way in a place that thinks the second he slacks off he is just another lazy person, not worthy of a business or any financial freedom. And the emotional turmoil everyone is going through constantly! Jeez, it’s just like real life. Celebrities! They’re just like us!

What I Liked:
-The story covers a lot. When it comes to being prejudice, and not just in the south, there is a lot of discrimination that can be thrown around. We have racism, of course. African-Americans shouldn’t be mixing it up with Indians! That’s crazy sauce (intentional masala related pun)! We have sexism. Unmarried ladies shouldn’t be caught canoodling in hotel rooms with men! We got financially driven discrimination. You can’t marry into that family, they aren’t rich! They work for a living! We even got class and racism discrimination amongst the Indian culture, which is difficult for me to touch on because I only have a vague idea of what class discrimination would even be like. A lot of issues in 2 hours, and most of them only slightly touched on, but I am happy to see a story that doesn’t focus solely on race. It could have, and that would have been one kind of a more generic movie, but this movie contains much more substance.
-Why are the very few romantic scenes so, well, romantic? There is a hesitant steaminess even in the scene where Denzel and Sarita Choudhury kiss for the first time. The camera movement in that scene is pretty great. You can see that it is hand held, or on a very movable podium, and the camera moves closer and around the couple as they experience each other’s lips for the first time. The sex scene was brief and had some kind of goofy music, but it worked well in the film. A longer sex scene would have changed the entire tone of the movie; and even though the main couple, Denzel and Sarita, are the focus of the marketing material for the movie, the film is about a lot of characters.
-What we have here is a nice snap shot of the early 90s. It might be specific to Mississippi for all I know, but there were some things that stood out. Clothes and hairstyles, music and dancing, a guy is wearing a clock around his neck at one point for Heaven’s sake. It’s all really goofy now, but I love it and glad I can revisit it on occasion through film.
-Sarita Choudhury, Roshan Seth, you two were amazing. I am going to seek out more of your work.

What I Didn't Like:
-This is a complaint/compliment for the film. When the film ends, there are a lot of questions we cannot answer confidently. Even the main couple’s story-line doesn't have an ending, unless you count the tiny bit during the end credits. Either way, my complaint is I wanted it to keep going, or at least tie up a few of the loose strings so I can feel a little satisfaction about the character’s places. If this became a weekly television show I would be very happy.
-There were a few scenes where I could feel the director’s hand guiding people as the said their lines. I don’t like it when I can sense that the director has just said “action” and everything starts from there.

What I Hated:
-Jerry curls are gross.


Verdict:

I would, and probably will, watch Mississippi Masala again. I am also now interested in checking out Monsoon Wedding when I get a chance. Very enjoyable, lots to dig through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment