Search This Blog

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Review: Jeff, Who Lives at Home


Jeff, Who Lives at Home (2011):

Synopsis – Jeff is an adult who is obsessed with Signs, thinking that if he just pays attention to every detail in his day he will find the path he is supposed to follow. His mother and older brother both think he is a weirdo lay about, and frankly they’re right. While Jeff looks for signs, older brother Pat finds that his relationship with Linda is in the rocks after one bad decision too many and mom just wants a nice birthday, but has come to expect little from her children.


This is another movie in my March Movie Project, recommended to me by my mom, Mom Torres. I asked her, after seeing the movie, why Jeff, Who Lives at Home? She said:

“It really surprised me. Doesn't happen too often.”

While I can say I didn't know what the movie was going to be like before I started watching it, I can’t say I was surprised by any of its developments. I don’t know if it’s because I've seen a few other “mumblecore” movies, or because I tend to have low expectations for comedies now days. Either way, I didn't really enjoy this movie and saw a lot of the plot coming. When a movie is as low key as this one, I don’t expect magic to happen necessarily, but I hope for something new and/or unusual at least. Maybe the money and the stars overwhelmed the script, maybe the directors were pushed into making something more formulaic because of the amount of money that had been given to them for the film. There was something off, and that is disappointing. 

What I Liked:
-When this movie gets serious, it works. Watching Jason Segel and Ed Helms adlib their way through a bonding moment actually came off as if they were brothers, or at least longtime friends. It’s chemistry like that that makes a film interesting to me, especially in a film that focuses on so few characters. And I like every scene with Susan Sarandon. Her character only has to be funny when she is talking to either of her sons on the phone. In fact, I have to say her storyline is the most interesting in the movie. In second place, any part where Ed Helms and Judy Greer’s relationship is dealt with in a serious way. Ed Helms being so dumb it is supposed to be funny doesn't work for me. Ed Helms being too selfish to realize he is losing the person he loves, now you have my attention again.

What I Didn’t Like:
-I’m pretty hard on comedies. I can probably count the comedies I thought were legitimately funny in the last 5 years on one hand. Jeff, Who Lives at Home is not a funny movie to me. This wouldn't be so much a problem if it wasn't evident that the filmmakers or actors were trying really hard to yuck it up sometimes. I don’t find people being assholes funny. I don’t like stoner humor. I am basically the worst funny person ever. The drama works for me, the yucks don’t.

What I Hated:
-Perhaps I am in the minority, but I don’t like looking at Jason Segel’s face. In this movie, that reaction is aggravated further by his unshaven, doughy look. I want to jump into the movie, hold him down, and shave him so that he could look at least slightly presentable. Am I supposed to find his partially lidded eyes and lazy smile charming? If I see him in person I might try to smack him.


Verdict:

I can’t say that watching Jeff, Who Lives at Home was offensive to my delicate film palate, but I don’t think I’ll ever watch it again. Other than a few key moments, it is a flawed film that cannot be saved by its actors or car crashes

No comments:

Post a Comment